- Home-Made Pie crusts (Recipe in link) OR 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped and toasted (Recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream (optional)
Roll 1 pie crust; cut out shapes with any mini cookie cutter that fits your theme. Brush them with lightly beaten egg, and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
Fit remaining piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate; fold edges under and crimp.
Bake cut outs at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Bake pie crust for
6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cut outs and pie crust from oven;
let cool. Increase oven temperature to 425°.
Combine 1/2 cup light brown sugar, chopped walnuts, butter, and vanilla
extract; spread on the bottom of baked piecrust.
Beat pumpkin, cream cheese, 2 eggs, and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar at
medium speed with an electric mixer. Add flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice,
and nutmeg, beating until blended. Spoon pumpkin mixture over walnut
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°, and bake 30 more
minutes or until pie is set. Remove pie to a wire rack; cool. Arrange cut outs
on top of pie.
Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, if desired.
How to toast nuts:
Heat oven to 425° .
Spread the desired amount of nuts onto a cookie sheet lined with parchemtn paper (or tin foil).
Bake for 3 – 5 minuites or until they turn coor and smell nutty. Do not over cook or the taste will be of burnt nuts.