- 2 16-oz cans of chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 16-oz can black-eyed peas
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 oz ham, sliced thin and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
In a soup pot bring broth to a boil. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, garlic, oregano, dry mustard, chili powder, cayenne, and black pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 4 minutes.
Rinse and drain peas. Seed and chop tomatoes.
Add peas, tomatoes, ham, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes to blend flavors.