The weather is so cold now that I must warm up my home and family with this chili recipe even the most robust meat-eater will love!
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp. dry red wine (or red cooking wine)
- 1 (28 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned. Add chipotle, oregano, cumin, chili powder, cocoa, sugar, and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes, wine and 3-4 cups water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add beans and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
Garnish individual bowls with green onions or sour cream, and corn bread, if desired.